U2M - Pluto's Ploy

Started by making a plain mead, and splitting it in half. To this half we added a half case of RW Knudsen Pomegranate juice. The other half became Gone to Flowers.


Yeast notes: Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast was rehydrated at brew time.

April 25, 2002 - Honey heated with water. Yeast energizer added. As temperature reached 160 F the must chiller was added, and the must kept hot for 15 minutes. Cooled, and poured into sanitized bucket. More water added, yeast pitched, stirred and stored with a bubble lock.

May 4, 2002 - Heated the smaller amount of honey with water. Added yeast nutrient. Heated to about 160 F and kept hot for 15 minutes. When the new must was cooled half of it was added to one carboy along with six quarts of RW Knudsen Pomegranate Juice and enough water to fill the carboy. Then it was stirred and stored with a blow off tube.

The original plan was to make one of these a lilac and the other a woodruff, but the woodruff wasn't ready. However, we had previously bought a full case of pomegranate juice, and used half in Demeter's Daughter, so we used the remaining half to make Pluto's Ploy.

June 6, 2002 - Racked.

February 6, 2003 - Racked and bottled.

Back to Mead List

Copyright ris